Saturday, May 14, 2011

Day 5: Channel Surfing

As I said in my 15 facts, I much prefer TV over movies. So this is a hard one. As far as current TV shows, I only dedicatedly follow 3:





  • Chuck


  • Psych


  • How I Met Your Mother


I watch Criminal Minds from time to time, but the Chinese website I was watching it on got slow and complicated and missed the eighth episode of the current season and I haven't really been able to catch up since.



As far as syndicated or DVD-ed shows, I pretty much stick with detective shows with a bit of humor (probably the reason I like both Chuck and Psych). Scarecrow and Mrs. King, Remington Steele, and Moonlighting all fall into those categories.



Mostly, I just like character development. I like long-running shows where you get to know the characters (like ER . . . at least, the first 8 or so seasons) and they have inside jokes within the show you only get if you've been watching since the beginning (e.g., Monica and Ross's fake flip-off, Slapbets, or pineapples). Of course, I like the opportunity of romance between characters. But it really has to either be super thought-provoking (like Criminal Minds) or have some amount of humor to catch my attention for any period of time.



I like Chuck because of the strong relationships between Chuck and his family (including Morgan) and later on, between Casey, Sarah, and Chuck. I like Psych because of the long-term friendship between Gus and Shawn. Come to think of it, How I Met Your Mother, Friends, and Will & Grace are also shows I've enjoyed based on long-term friendships. Maybe I'm drawn to shows about groups of people that have been together for a long time (at least, parts of them).



Maybe studying my TV-watching habits is far more insightful than I expected or really wanted it to be.

No comments: