Monday, May 2, 2011

Meanwhiles

This was intended to be a journal entry, but ended up having a blog-type feel to it, so I figured I'd share it.
************************

It's a meanwhile. I don't know if it's a "meanwhile until I get married" or "until something happens with worship or music" or all of the above (or even something entirely different), but I know it's a meanwhile.

Which is what makes it so frustrating.

It's hard to believe that meanwhiles matter. After all, they're just the space between milestones, aren't they?

But life is meanwhiles. I am who I am because of the meanwhiles.

So, while my tendency is to define myself by events--or lack thereof--(which, the more I think about, the more I realize is sort of a cultural mindset) I'm defined by the meanwhiles.

While culture identifies by age, education, and relationship status, what I did, the choices I made, lessons I learned, and character I built are what matters. The meanwhile I spent in highschool was incomparably more important than the two-hour ceremony or piece of paper (which I subsequently lost and had to get replaced). The meanwhile I spent between my last two birthdays was infinitely more important than the 24 hours of birthday (as will the next one I hope).

I've heard it said multiple ways: "Enjoy the process." "Eat what's on your plate." Most recently, "Take joy in the life God's given you." But I always imagined the plate being empty at some point or the process ending.

But it's the meanwhiles that compose life. And even if all I learn in this meanwhile is just how meaningful meanwhiles are (and how important it is to enjoy them), then this meanwhile will be worthwhile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a lot of retired gentlemen who frequent Java Joe's that I've come to know on a very first-name basis. I was talking with one of them about his current lifestyle (basically sleep in, hang out with his friends and drink coffee, golf, vacation, etc), and my response was "Wow, that sounds like the life to live. Wish I was retired". His response to that was:

"Ah, don't be so quick to wish your life away"

Having been married for only about 9 months now, I can saw that even married life has it's "meanwhiles". After having kids, there will be "meanwhiles". They really are a the largest part of life, and I think the best and healthiest approach is where you've landed: that they're worthwhile, and some of the best things come out of them.